Sunday, September 30, 2012

36 1/2 Week Photo Opportunity

We had maternity pictures taken today by Kirsten Eitreim of KME Photography. Didn't she do a great job?? She even got Rasmus in some! Here are a couple of our 'sneak peeks'. We had a lot of fun being at a beautiful park on a gorgeous fall morning, with a few colors starting to change!

I'm 36 1/2 weeks in these photos and still feeling pretty good. I'm definitely exhausted by the end of my kindergarten day, but that's to be expected, right?
Nothing new is happening in the medical world, it's all about waiting at this point (and waiting a couple more weeks sounds like a great idea!). Jeremy had the realization that it is now under 20 days until they want to induce and have Pip, I guess I better pack those bags ;)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weekly Appointments

We're already down to the weekly appointments! CRAZY!! We have 4 weeks until induction date!

Today's appointment was in Maple Grove so Ellie didn't have to take any time off and even got to school within 5 minutes of her 'expected' time! (Don't worry, she was at school an hour after she had to be so she made up that 5 minutes without a problem.) She was pretty impressed that since we showed up early we got in early. Hopefully that will happen again the next couple of weeks, too.

We had the BPP (Biophysical profile) today which is an ultra sound that looks specifically at the heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and amount of amniotic fluid around Pip. My understanding is I will have another one for the next two weeks again as well since we are considered 'high risk'. Everything looks good! Pip is still head down and moving all over the place!

Continue the good thoughts and prayers :) We thank you for all of them you have already sent our way!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012


I admit, I am still processing everything we learned today. We were able to meet a lot of people and see the Labor and Delivery area, the NICU, and the CVICU (cardio vascular intensive care unit) where Pip will be staying at some point. We thought we would have 'wait' time sitting around between appointments today and boy, that didn't happen! My mom came with us today to try to help us ask more questions, have another set of ears to hear what we hear, and someone who has gone through this before. Not an easy job. (Thanks, Mom!)

I'll try to start at the beginning...

First, we had (another) level 2 ultra sound. Everything is measuring 'perfectly' and Pip weighs approximately 4 lb 11 oz. Pip is measuring right on schedule as well (within the one day my due date has moved, no big deal) and is head down.

Before we had our fetal echo, we met with a coordinator, Meg, who answered a LOT of our questions right away as well as explained how the rest of the day would go. She was very helpful and stayed with us most of the day so she also heard what we heard and can answer questions as we sit here at home thinking of more. This is different then our first initial care coordinator who provided more questions than answers.

After the echo, we met with the same Dr. again and heard much of the same thing we heard at 31 weeks (3 weeks ago). They are still seeing the same thing in the echo that the veins aren't all going to the right place (Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return), which means Pip will have surgery...we just don't know when. That part is very up in the air and will be until Pip is delivered (how soon will depend on how Pip is when he/she is born and the results from various tests they will do right away).

We met a high risk OB/GYN who will very possibly be the Dr. that delivers Pip, but you never know how that works :) They are suggesting that we come down there at 39 weeks to be induced so I don't go into spontaneous labor so far away and so we don't go overdue so the baby has meconium aspiration. They are telling us the combination of the heart defect and then adding meconium aspiration would not be good for the baby. We had a very serious discussion about my wishes and how being induced is not my first choice. They did agree that we can try any and all 'natural' ways to induce before pitocin. This however, came after quite a bit of emotions regarding not trying a chemical inducement.... when that happened we then were given a second option.  Guess I'll be looking into naturally inducing myself before that point! As I said, I'm still processing this information so I'm not 100% sure how I feel about all of it yet.

Next we had a NICU consult. We met a Dr. who will most likely be part of Pip's team once he/she is born and help determine how soon the surgery needs to be completed. He talked to us about the logistics side of surgery, tubes, and recovery. We heard again that it will be a minimum of 2 weeks, could possibly be 3, depending on how soon after birth surgery happens and again how fast Pip recovers (none of which we know until they arrive).

The Dr. also explained how the recovery portion will most likely go and then gave us a tour of the labor and deliver area, the NICU (where Pip will probably be immediately after birth if surgery does not happen immediately) and the CVICU (where Pip will be after surgery). Hopefully we will remember when we go back ;) We did find out where we come if I am in labor (without being induced), where to park, ect ect...all those logistical things ;) which feels good to know.

We also learned there are options of places that we can stay while the Baby is in CVICU even after I am a patient, so hopefully we wont have to be driving back and forth EVERY day.

Mostly we gained a wealth of information that has helped us process things a little easier. The team of doctors at this appointment were far more helpful than the previous two. Thanks for your prayers, the well wishes and for sending us your best in this process. We are grateful and blessed because of it already. We don't know what the future will hold for sure but at least now we are starting to get a better handle on it.